While I’m off in NYC, my friend (in blogland and in real life) Beckie is guest posting for me. She’s sharing one of my very favorite projects of hers – enjoy!!

Hello Thrifty readers!  I am Beckie, from Infarrantly Creative

I am a red-headed, left-handed, frugal-living, roadkill-rescuing, furniture revamping, creative-minded, spray-painting, fun-loving Midwest girl living in the land of corn and the Colts.
I came to share a thrifty project with you.  Just like Sarah I love perusing through catalogs for inspiration.  Ballard Designs catalog is at the top of the pile. I saw the Acanthus Cut-Out Plaque from Ballard’s about a year ago. Isn't it gorgeous? I looooove it. Did you see the price tag? I haaaaate it. So what does one do?
Recreate it of course for 3.54% of the price (yes I am a math nerd)! IMG_0922
Their version is made out of tole metal. Unfortunately, I am not a metal fabricator, nor do I pretend to know what tole metal is. However, I do have some wood and a jigsaw.
1. I got a piece of 1/4" luan plywood cut to the size of 24" x 36". They sell a 2’ x 4’ piece for $5.47 at the Home Depot.
2. Then using a pencil and my catalog for inspiration I drew the design on the wood. 
3. Then I got out my electric drill and using a large bit I cut holes into each of the scrolling vines as a starting point for my jigsaw.
4. Then I took a jigsaw and using a new scroll blade I followed the lines and cut out my pattern. IMG_0906There were a few pieces that broke off that I had to use wood glue and wood putty to fix. Don’t be intimidated by a jigsaw.  Of all the saws they are the easiest to maneuver.5. Then I got my Dremel tool and used a sanding bit and sanded down the cuts to make them smooth.  You could also use a sanding sponge.
6. I wanted to cover some of the blemishes give the piece some texture. So I thought and thought about how to give it a little texture with the supplies I had on hand. Hmmmm....how about Mod Podge? So I went and got a test piece of wood and a sponge and pounced Mod Podge all over it.
I liked it...
7. Since the Mod Podge sealed it I didn't need to primer it so I spray painted it Canyon Black. It still needed something. I used a glaze mixed with some brown craft paint and painted it on and then used a damp paper towel to remove some of it. It gave it the depth of color that I was looking for and almost resembled the “tole” metal of the Ballard’s one.IMG_0927 8. Then using a $5 miter box and saw I cut molding to frame it out, spray painting that also.
Then I nailed everything in place.  I love how the blue walls show through the vine cut outs. 
IMG_0924IMG_0923
IMG_0929
IMG_0922
Note: Next to the Acanthus Cut-Out is 2 blank canvases with fabric stapled to them and also trimmed out.
What do you think? If I would have ordered one it would have cost $253.95 with shipping. This cost me $9! Move over Thrifty Decor Chick ;-)
I would love for you to come visit me at Infarrantly Creative.  If you like this process I will give you a sneak peek of a new project that I am working on…IMG_0914
You will have to come to “my house” to see the rest.  See you there!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top