Hi everyone! 

Today I'm sharing my DIY Silhouette Wall Art


DIY wall art, wall art crafts, silhouette crafts, canvas wall art

As you can see from the photo below, it's still a winter wonderland! 
No matter the season, I adore the view from my front porch. 


Here's the view, looking south and west. 
I just love all of our trees! 
(Big A doesn't - he has to mow around all of those tree trunks.)


As I looked at my view, 
I thought, I'm going to paint my trees.

Nailed it!
(Well, okay, I used a little artistic licence.) 

I started with a blank canvas and painted the edges black. (I also painted the side edge of the canvas). As you can see, I didn't do this very carefully. I knew it was going to be covered up. 


Next I mixed up 1/2 Elmer's glue and 1/2 water to make my own mod podge.

Shake, shake, shake. (Shake your groove thang). 

I "painted" the canvas with mod podge.

I found an old book, and lucky for me, the edges of the pages were yellowed. I like the look of the aged edges of the pages. 

I roughly tore the pages, and placed them randomly on still damp canvas. 


After I had all the book pages down, I "painted" them with mod podge too.
I started to smooth out the wrinkles,
and then I decided the wrinkles looked kinda cool. 

It took about 3 hours for the mod podge to dry completely, 
and then I free handed the trees with a sharpie. 


I know, I know, but in my defense - I have a degree in television production, not art!

To fill in the trees, I used black acrylic paint (which is about $1 per bottle at AC More).

DIY wall art, wall art crafts, silhouette crafts, canvas wall art

Once the canvas was (mostly) dry, I tried hanging it in various spots. 

DIY wall art, wall art crafts, silhouette crafts, canvas wall art

All in all, it's been in 7 different spots, and I'm still not quite sure where it will end up. 

DIY wall art, wall art crafts, silhouette crafts, canvas wall art

Either way, I'm happy with it.

It has a little bit of a spooky feel doncha think? I asked Big A if I should paint a raven on one of the branches and he replied: "No paint me in there, on the lawn mower". See, he has issues. 

For a list of parties I'll be at - go HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top